Air conditioning is a vital part of keeping your home comfortable during hot weather. But if your air conditioner is not well-maintained, it can break down and leave you sweating in the heat. One of the most common reasons an air conditioner fails is due to the unit freezing.
Air conditioners can freeze for a few reasons, including:
- A dirty air filter will restrict airflow and cause the evaporator coil to freeze.
- A clogged evaporator coil can also restrict airflow and can cause the same problem.
- Low refrigerant levels can cause the evaporator coil to freeze because there is not enough refrigerant to absorb the heat from the air.
- If the fan inside the air conditioner is malfunctioning, it can cause the evaporator coil to freeze.
If you think your air conditioner is freezing up, you should first check the air filter. If it is dirty, clean it or replace it. If the air filter is clean, you should check the evaporator coil. If it is clogged, you should have it cleaned by a professional. If the air filter and evaporator coil are clean, you should have the refrigerant levels checked. If the refrigerant levels are low, you should have them recharged.
If you have checked all of these things and your air conditioner is still freezing up, you should call a professional to diagnose the problem.
McCown Company is a full-service HVAC company that can help you diagnose and fix any problems related to your air conditioner. We offer a wide range of services, including:
- Air conditioner installation
- Air conditioner repair
- Air conditioner maintenance
- Air duct cleaning
- Heat pump installation
- Heat pump repair
- Heat pump maintenance
If you are experiencing problems with your air conditioner, contact us today for a free consultation. We will be happy to help you diagnose the problem and recommend the best course of action.
Here are some additional tips to help prevent your air conditioner from freezing:
- Change the air filter every month.
- Keep the supply vents open.
- Have the fan speed increased.
- Have the thermostat checked out.
- Inspect the condensate drain weekly.
- Make sure any window units you have are angled correctly.
By following these tips, you can prevent your unit from freezing and ensure your air conditioner continues to run smoothly.